Thursday, July 22, 2010

Una Historia: Susana Zanate

A couple of weeks ago I shared the story of a woman that broke my heart and left me discouraged. Today I will tell you one that I found truly encouraging. They start the same:

A somewhat haphazardly constructed house too small for all it's members...
Incomplete walls in part of the house. (Imagine sleeping there when it rains...)
So, she too is in poverty. But that is where the similarities end. She was confident and easy to talk to. When I explained to her that I needed to take some pictures of her house for the Ikatu project and asked her if that would be okay, she said, "No, you don't need to take pictures. You just want to because you think my house is so beautiful! I'll let you." She was able to laugh at herself and at me. Well, mostly me, but the point remains: she has a sense of humor.

And her house was beautiful. Despite the missing doors and incomplete walls, it was beautiful.
There were details like dried flowers on top of her refrigerator...
Her land was clean and well kept...
She has plans. Her dream is to be able to start making her own compost and using her land for more, and finish her house. I believe her when she says she knows just how to do it. And I believe her when she says she will do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment